Sixth - system for data storage, computation, exploration and interaction
- This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
- Program author:
- Other software projects hosted at svjatoslav.eu
Idea is to design all encompassing, flexible and powerful virtual environment where I can live in and very efficiently do all my computing tasks enjoyably and with playful ease.
See extensible, programmable computing environment examples. In each case you can install or develop plugins/extensions for every purpose imaginable.
I would like to create better general purpose environment with the following properties:
- Makes lots of complex data intuitive to:
- explore, understand
- manipulate and compute on
- Extensively relying on:
- Realtime 3D graphics with immediate feedback loop.
“Virtual reality holds the key to the evolution of the human mind” Dr. Lawrence Angelo, The Lawnmower Man (1992)
- Flexible and distributed computation and data storage.
- Cross device:
- Easily switch and/or combine computers to work seamlessly on any tasks.
- User interface, data, software, running proceses and available computing power is not contained or limited by boundaries of any single device.
- GNU Emacs - At the heart, Emacs is text editor on top of Lisp runtime. Data storage and computation can be done in Lisp. Emacs provides text buffers that can be used to build GUI.
- Eclipse IDE - In essence OSGi platform with a text editor. Computation done in java. Eclipse provides integration, runtime and GUI platform.
- IBM Notes/Domino - Custom database engine, software development platform, GUI editor, computation can be done in Java and LotusScript.
- SAP ABAP - Custom database engine, runtime, GUI platform, development environment and programming language.
3 Current status
5 Computation ideas
- Program - stored instructions for execution by computer.
- Process - Currently running program.
- Process is self contained. Has a full copy of program code and
every dependent library.
- Memory used by processes is content addressed/deduplicated at low level in the system.
- This allows:
- Upgrading software installed in the system without breaking already running processes.
- Easier migration of running processes between physical computers.
- Possibility to suspend/resume arbitrary processes to permament storage.
- Possibility checkpoint/revert running process.
- Possibility to clone/branch running process.
- Process is self contained. Has a full copy of program code and every dependent library.
6 Frequently Given Answers
- Why such name ?